SPIRE (Scottish Primary Care Information Resource)
SPIRE is a service that will be used to help NHSScotland and the Scottish Government plan for Scotland’s health and care needs. It allows information from GP patient records to be transferred electronically and held securely at NHS National Services Scotland. NHS National Services Scotland support the NHS by gathering information and producing statistical information and analysis that helps NHSScotland make the right decisions for patients. SPIRE uses information from GP practices all over Scotland in a safe and secure way. NHS organisations and approved researchers will be able to use SPIRE in ways that could help you and everyone in Scotland, such as:
- Improving the quality of care for all patients.
- Planning services and care for people who have a condition or a health need.
- Responding to major public health issues like flu epidemics.
- Improving the provision of health and care to vulnerable or disadvantaged groups.
- Developing knowledge about the uptake of vital medicines and vaccines.
- Supporting research into new treatments for particular illnesses.